Monday, January 15, 2007

Samaritanizing.

Get a call to pick up a lady at one of the senior care facilities going to the clinic. Not out of the ordinary, but the dispatcher prefaces giving me the call with, "hope it's not a problem, but could you please please please help the old lady from the door to the van, and then help her into the clinic? She called and said that she would need a little help because she didn't want to fall on the ice."

The plea seemed a little weird until I thought about it and remembered that one of my co-workers was making a serious gripe the other day about being expected to help little old ladies to and from the car. At the time I wasn't thinking about what I said and had agreed a little too swiftly. This was mostly due to the fact that one of our regular customers was being a little to forthcoming with orders for my tastes and I felt that my generosities were being a bit abused.

Once I realized that the dispatcher had taken what I said to mean that 'I hate all old people and would rather die than help them navigate the ice between their meager home and the cab,' I was a bit embarrassed.

It occurred to me how lucky I am. I have a job where I get to help little old ladies that I don't have any relation (working or familial) with. How many other jobs are like that? How cool would it be if some more were? Just the ability for someone to take one minute (no joke...no embellishment...just one) and help someone else who will appreciate it. (...and that point can't be made enough: No pay, no benefit at all other than a smile and a thank you.)

It wouldn't change the world. It wouldn't feed anybody. It wouldn't change any states' color...

...but it sure feels good to be given the chance to help an old lady every once in awhile.

Especially when the old lady is cool enough to say as she takes your hand, "I've had the runs for four days and I got to go to the clinic so the doctor can look up my ass."

1 comment:

Al said...

admit it... you just like talking about the runs.