Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Informed.

I guess it's my fault that I had the news on the radio rather than something a little less conversational.

A report about Hussein's execution came on while I took two coworkers home from their morning shift at McDonald's. The younger guy in the back tells his middle-aged counterpart up front that he saw the execution video online. The lady (who was chowing-down on her "cherries jubilee") expressed absolute shock fairly well for having a mouth crammed full of cherry pie filling.

She asked if the executioners said anything. The young guy said that they were giving him a hard time but said that the video quality was so bad that he could not tell what they were saying. (Not to mention that they were probably speaking in Arabic, but I'm not going to see it so what do I know.) He mentioned that the onlookers seemed pretty angry and that after the hanging they started pounding on the body. (Again I'll reiterate...I didn't see the thing, so I have no idea if that's what happened, that's just what this guy in my cab said happened.)

She licked the cheery of her lips and said, "Well what do you expect, those poor people who lost loved ones in 9-11 have every right to be upset with that man."

Me and the guy in the back exchanged glances and, although we'd never met and didn't know each other, decided mutually and silently, to not press it and let this lady believe whatever she wants.

In my mind, though, it's a different story...

"No more NPR in the cab if all you're going to do when you get home is turn on Fox News or Rush!!! You people deserve to be lied too!!!"

From now on it's Nickelback, Pussycat Dolls, and the Eagles. Just like you all seem to want.

1 comment:

Al said...

wow. I can't even make a joke about that.