Monday, December 4, 2006

Why I matter.

Nearly settled in. I still have boxes all over my new apartment, but most of them are empty; I haven't gotten used to my three room palace yet, but I like waking up here; enrolled in school and eagerly awaiting my GI Bill payments;

...and finally, a new job.

I drove Taxi in a smaller community the first time I was in college (1998-2001,) and now that I'm going back (in a differant state) it seemed like a reasonable side occupation. It's easy work, you know? You drive. That's it.

...but that's not the only thing. In a small town like this, the taxi isn't a taxi. It's public transportation. So much in fact, that my paycheck comes from the town's taxes, not a meter.

So what could I have to blog about that could be the least bit interesting? The elderly who's families are far away and are isolated to their worlds of wheelchairs and daytime television? The fellas at the half-way house working at Perkins, but working harder to stay sober? (or how about the guy at the hotel who is getting his last drinking binge out of the way before settling into said half-way house?) The 20 year old psych major who suffers from Cerebral Palsy who has been matched up against an advisary that I cannot begin to comprehend, and has been pulling it off with more class than I can ever hope to achieve. Like Henry Rollins said, "[He's] riding a wave of sheer terror...and getting a tan."

I drive these people around a small town. Not too hard, but I listen to them and try to joke with them...some rides are good, some bad. Just like days.